Barabati Fort in Cuttack Odisha is a thirteenth-century post worked by the Ganga administration in Cuttack, Odisha, India. The vestiges of the stronghold stay with its canal, entryway, and the earthen hill of the nine-celebrated castle, which summons the recollections of past days. Today it sits close to the advanced Barabati Stadium, the setting of different game occasions and social projects.
There is likewise a sanctuary devoted to Katak Chandi, the managing god of the city, not far away from the fortification. Presently there are plans to form the old Gadakhai into a top-notch vacationer location with sailing offices and an elite park. The remodel work of the Gadakhai is going on going full bore.
Scholars give different opinions regarding the date of construction of the Barabati fort. Madalapanji, the Jagannatha temple chronicle narrates an interesting story which is as follows.
King Anangabhimadeva III lived in his capital, Chaudwar (1211-1238 A.D.) One day the king crossed the Mahanadi and came towards the southern side. Here he noticed in the Barabati village belonging to the Ko-danda sub-division that near the god Visweswar, a heron had jumped upon a hawk. Seeing this the king was very much surprised and on an auspicious day laid the foundation of the construction of the fort and this village was named Barabati Cuttack. And after that, he left Choudwar and lived at Cuttack making it his capital.
In 1568 AD, the city passed to the hands of Afghan rulers of Bengal, then to the Mughal Empire in 1592, and the Marathas in 1751. Cuttack, with the rest of Odisha, came under British rule in 1803. The Bengal-Nagpur Railways connected Cuttack with Madras (Chennai) and Calcutta (Kolkata) in 1919. It became the capital of the newly formed state of Odisha in 1936 and continued to be so till 1948 when the capital was shifted to Bhubaneswar. The city completed one thousand years of its existence in 1989.
During the rule of the Muslims and the Marathas, it continued to be the capital of Odisha. The British army took possession of Barabati fort on October 1803, and it became a prison for the confinement of several illustrious rulers of the land. In 1800 the Raja of Kujanga, in 1818 the Raja of Surgaja with his family members were kept under strict confinement to this fort. In addition, vandalism to destroy the fort was intensified in the early phase of British rule.
The fortification is square in the arrangement. It spreads over a region of 102 sections of land and encompassed on all sides by a stone-cleared channel of 10 Mtr. width in northern and western sides and 20 Mtr. width in the eastern and southern sides. The whole fortification divider with the exception of the passage is absent. Since, 1915, taking into account its public significance, the spot has been proclaimed as an ensured site by the Archeological Survey of India.
At the focal point of the fortification, there was a high hill with a tank on the western side. It spreads more than 15/16 sections of land of the zone. Presently the site is under broad infringement. Toward the east of the hill, there is the Shahi Mosque while in the west of the tank lies the Mazar of Hazrat Ali Bukhari. In 1989 unearthings were done by the Archeological Survey of India to find out the social skyline of the notable fortress and the work is as yet in progress. Removal by Archeological review of India on December first, 1989 uncovered proof of a castle, a square design developed of Khondalite stone. It was worked over a zone that was deliberately set up by topping off 5 meters with sand and lime combination. Channels burrowed on the eastern side of the design uncovered 32 columns worked of educated squares generally square yet changing in size.
In the northeastern corner of the hill survives from a sanctuary have been found. Uncovering on the eastern and southern side of the hill uncovered the presence of a fortification divider worked of laterite blocks.
The remnants of the old Barabati Fort lie on the correct bank of the Mahanadi, in the western piece of the city. All that survives from the Fort is a curved door and the earthen hill of the nine-storeyed castle. Archeological studies uncover that the Fort was generally rectangular in a construction having a zone of more than 102 sections of land (0.41 km2), and it was encircled on all sides by a mass of laterite and sandstone. Toward the west of the hill, there is a tank. In the north-eastern corner of the hill are stays of what used to be a sanctuary. The sanctuary was made of whitish sandstone over establishments of laterite blocks. Around 400 sections of moldings and some ravaged bits of figures have been recuperated up until now. This sanctuary of the Ganga time frame containing a stone symbol of Lord Jagannath is in ruins. A mosque worked by Nawab Murshid Quli Khan, legislative head of Emperor Aurangzeb in 1719 AD actually exists.
Barabati Fort in Cuttack Odisha is a 13th-century fort built by the Ganga dynasty in Cuttack, Odisha, India. The ruins of the fort remain with its moat, gate, and the earthen mound of the nine-storied palace, which evokes the memories of past days.
Cuttack is 29m above sea level. The climate here is tropical. The summers here have a good deal of rainfall, while the winters have very little. This climate is considered to be Aw according to the Köppen-Geiger climate classification. The average annual temperature is 26.8 °C | 80.3 °F in Cuttack. About 1686 mm | 66.4 inch of precipitation falls annually.
The driest month is January, with 12 mm | 0.5 inch of rain. Most of the precipitation here falls in July, averaging 404 mm | 15.9 inch.
May is the warmest month of the year. The temperature in May averages 31.7 °C | 89.1 °F. January is the coldest month, with temperatures averaging 21.2 °C | 70.1 °F.
There is a difference of 392 mm | 15 inch of precipitation between the driest and wettest months. Throughout the year, temperatures vary by 10.6 °C | 51.0 °F.
You can get food from Hotels in the town area.
There is no specific season for paying a casual visit to Barabati Fort. Tourists flock to this place and admire the remnants of the fort. It can be visited any time of the year.
The nearest Airport is Bhubaneswar Airport-30 Km.
Nearest Railway Stations are Cuttack- 8Km
Regular Bus services are available .
To visit Barabati Fort in Cuttack Odisha, for the winter season, you preferably hold all your winter garments, shoes, blankets, and also necessary things you want to carry. There is no free pure drinking water, so you can hold a large Gallen of drinking water for your whole journey. Ice creams, cooldrinks, coconuts are available all time here. This place has rich history and culture. It is advisable to bring a camera to capture its beauty.
QUICK NAVIGATION LINKS